Our world is a negative place right now. I can't remember a time when, day in day out, I've been surrounded by such bad economic and political news.
It feels like a perpetual rain cloud.
For underdogs, there is a clear silver lining to this cloud: we already know how to deal with negativity, doubt and pessimism. Here are some of the more common strategies:
1) Put the blinders on. Stay focused. You're doing good stuff, right? Keep your eyes on that, not on what everyone else is doing or saying.
2) Create value...everyday. So what if that over-inflated stock in your portfolio is down? Underdog companies know that when we create and add value for our customers we do well.
3) Find what's working and do more of it.
4) Reflect on the positive. All the whining that's going on right now ignores the fact that our lives--today--are better than anytime in history. If you have your health and your family, life's good. Emphasize that.
5) Adjust expectations. It probably isn't going to happen as fast or as big as you hoped, but "it" will happen.
And a bonus one: Smile. Strange how this little physical act can have a tremendous psychological impact.