There are only three days left for you to submit your proposal for the first-ever Ignite Boise, an event that brings together smart people to talk about interesting things. Speakers get 5 minutes and 20 slides, each of automatically rotate after 15 seconds. (Still don’t get what Ignite Boise is? Go here.)
I will not be submitting a presentation this go around. (As an Ignite Boise volunteer, I want to make sure my focus is on the behind-the-scenes stuff.)
That doesn’t mean I don’t have ideas.
Below are 50 topics that I think would be interesting for someone to present at Ignite Boise. It’s a quick list. Not perfect. Many missing. If you’ve been thinking you want to present, but have suffered from presenter’s block, perhaps it will help inspire you.
A couple of notes: (1) I’ve used “how, what and why” as a platform for my brainstorming purposes only. Ignite presentations certainly don’t have to follow that format...you can do it however you want. (2) These are unsanctioned ideas, not endorsed or approved by the Ignite Boise presentation committee -- I've gone rogue on this one. Their only purpose is to help kick-start your brain. Hope they help!
1. How can we turn the giant hole at 8th & Main into a public space?
2. How to build [something interesting].
3. How to quickly glean insights from your balance sheet/P&L.
4. How to work with difficult people.
5. How to make a community supported agriculture work.
6. How do I design a kick-ass web site interface?
7. How to conduct statistically significant market research on a budget.
8. How can I write a book in six months?
9. How to successfully navigate [the DMV, unemployment office, city hall, etc.]
10. How to make Boise the hub of Web 4.0.
11. How to create a progressive conservative political party.
12. How can Idaho move beyond the potato?
13. How can I become a film maker?
14. How can I turn my car electric?
15. How to become a better speller.
16. How do I start a restaurant without losing my ass?
17. How to properly fillet a fish.
18. How to be a good boss.
19. How to be a good employee.
20. How to take more effective notes.
21. How to get out of jail.
22. How to get out of awkward situations.
23. How to work with a venture capitalist.
24. How to take better photos.
25. What can we learn from a cockroach?
26. What can we learn from [1954, 1845, 1972, etc.]?
27. What can we learn from JR Simplot?
28. What are the biggest hiring mistakes?
29. What are the biggest misconceptions about web design?
30. What makes a good story?
31. What are the chances that (intelligent) life exists beyond Earth?
32. What makes great logo?
33. What can we do to improve our health care system?
34. What does the government know about me?
35. What does Proctor & Gamble know about it me?
36. What can Boise do to be more [dog/pet/tech] friendly?
37. What is the purpose of CCDC?
38. What makes a bad word bad?
39. What is the history of the Egyptian Theatre?
40. What does the City of Boise’s org chart look like?
41. Why is aesthetic important?
42. Why are so many Californians drawn to Idaho, then complain about it (or is that just a myth)?
43. Why is Idaho considered part of the Northwest and what are the implications?
44. Why is Idaho considered part of the Mountain West and what are the implications?
45. Why should I use Mac vs. PC (or the other way around)?
46. Why do dogs like people so much?
47. Why do people like dogs so much?
48. Why is turning 18 make us an adult (and should it)?
49. Why are people left-handed and why are they smarter, better looking and more creative?
50. Why is everything now a “syndrome”?
Submit your presentation idea on the Ignite Boise web site.